Thursday, May 11, 2006

Scratch & sniff beneath the surface: what is aromatherapy & how is it used?

Tami, I should have spelled out in my opinion (IMO). I corrected that.

How is aromatherapy used? The short answer is in many ways. Before answering that further, I'd like to say what aromatherapy is.

Again, I like the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy's site. You can go there by clicking on the title.

In plain English, aromatherapy is intentional, informed use of extracted plant aromas for emotional and physical (and some add spiritual) healing and well-being.
How is aromatherapy used?
You can apply plant extracts, usually diluted essential oils:
  • with a compress, with a massage or in a bath
  • inhale them using steam, a spray or diffuser or candle/aroma pot
  • diluted directly onto the skin on pulse points
  • with salves/ointments, creams, mouthwash, oral tinctures (diluted droplets--you could use diluted cinnamon and mint as a breath freshener) and gel.
I referred to http://www.naha.org/methods_of_application.htm Plus, as many of you know, I always have essential oils around. Check it out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Sonia -

My Sister-Friend and colleague gifted me with your Virtual Vacation! All praise to Oshun it is such a light, sensual and etheral scent - I wear it everyday and just open the bottle to take a whiff whenever I need a spiritual high!

I want to know more about other scents you mix, anything citrusy or musky?

Unknown said...

Dear YaaSoulSista-

I had Oshun in mind when I made a summery scent in the bleak midwinter. I'm glad it gives you a lift and would be happy to make you something. Please provide your e-mail address in your next comment. Don't worry, it won't get posted, since everything goes through my e-mail first.

By the way, I just talked a little about fresh summer scents on the blog. Those were commercial scents, so I'd be happy to go into specific oils with you. If you prefer a phone call, please let me know when you provide your e-mail address. I'll be out of town this weekend and will respond to you as soon as I can.

A list of citrus & musk scents I have:
neroli-- fruit citrus floral, sweet

orange-- fruit citrus fresh, warm

bergamot-- fruit citrus citrus, nose tickle
grapefruit-- fruit citrus sharp, nose tickle
lime-- fruit citrus, zesty

tangerine-- fruit citrus, zesty close to orange

lemon sugar fresh type-- fruit mix citrus, sweet


musk

arabian musk-- aromatic, warm, spicy

china musk--light, green

egyptian musk-- powdery, woodsy

white musk-- soft musk warm, powdery

I also have African musk, which is warm and strong.

Cheers,

Sonia