Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Berry Delicious Frosting

Sometimes I struggle between healthful ingredients and "celebration" food.Many things slide on special occasions, but I prefer artificial colors and high fructose corn syrup not to come from my kitchen. So, what do I do when it comes to my kid's' birthday cake? I take a Costco cake, strip the frosting off and make my own. Then I spread it back on the cake! It's tastier and semi-homemade. And I can still enjoy the party and the cake! 

Berry Delicious Cream Cheese Frosting

1 package freeze-dried berries Note: Dried fruit WILL NOT WORK  Prefer mixed berries from Target or blueberries and/or raspberries from Trader Joe's. Strawberries work and have not tried cranberries yet.
2 blocks cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar, plus 1/2 cup for berries


Equipment needed: Food processor

First, process berries and 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar in food processor for almost one minute, or until a uniform fine powder is achieved. Remove from work bowl. Process cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in clean food processor work bowl until combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Add confectioners' sugar and berry mixture and process until smooth, about 30 seconds.

This frosting is SO GOOD!


No comments: