Monday, July 21, 2014

Americana flavors make Mac'n'cheese zing

There can be too much of a good thing. I can't repeat dishes and leftovers too often, or I get bored. Or somehow they get moved to the back of the fridge. So when I didn't face eating Mac'n'cheese with sheer delight, something was amiss. I thought of the other things I had handy to pique my taste buds. Below is the delectable result, gone in a day!

Mac'n'cheese with tomato jam and "onion ring" bread crumbs
For fastest results, start Mac'n'cheese and tomatoes simultaneously.
Tomato Jam
Almost 1/4 cup brown sugar-not packed down-or use 2 tablespoons
6 whole allspice berries or 1/2 teaspoon powder
1 each large or eight cherry green and/or yellow tomatoes, cut in 1-inch pieces or smashed in pan
10 ounces stewed tomatoes-small can, or half of a large can, with juices
3 tablespoons dried onion or 1/2 cup fresh onion cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon red-wine or apple-cider vinegar
Dash lemon pepper, optional

Creamy Mac'n'cheese 
1 pound-a box farfalle pasta
Salt for pasta water (save 1/2 cup pasta water)
6 ounces cream cheese
Dash cinnamon, black pepper and nutmeg
1/2 cup Grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigianno Reggiano or Parmesan cheese. Grate before measuring.

I start my pasta in cold, salted water using a wide, deep pan, more like a skillet than a pasta pot. Meanwhile, I start to cook all the ingredients for the tomato jam in a small saucepan on high heat until it boils, then I turn it down to the lower heat settings to bubble gently for about 25 minutes (or longer on very low heat for firmer texture and fuller flavor), until it gets a little shiny, looking like jam and not tomato sauce. Be sure to stir every five minutes to avoid burning.

When the pasta is about two minutes from being done (it's not chewy but is firm when you bite it), I drain out the water except for a half cup. Then, I put it back on the stove over low heat and add the cream cheese and spices. After about 5 minutes over high heat and a lot of stirring, I have a sauce that's creamy but a little thin, like baked potato soup or just-melted ice cream. I turn of the heat and add the cheese, stirring until it's mixed into the sauce. It should thicken well while remaining creamy.

You can serve those next to each other. To layer and serve as a meal, I spread the pasta out in a class or ceramic rectangular serving dish then spoon the tomato jam on top. I also have crushed then toasted French-fried onions and buttered bread pieces and/or some grated hard cheese for 5-8 minutes, and sprinkled that on top, aka onion ring bread crumbs.

P.S. The tomato jam is also great with meatloaf and burgers!







No comments: