Sunday, October 19, 2008

Food for thought: You asked for it!


Sometimes I make stuff and don't think about it again. Friends and family ask me for recipes, and I often draw a blank.

Please help me remember what I've prepared! Feel free to ask me for recipes or how I made something. At the very least it will jog my memory, and I may even be inspired to make it again soon!

Requested: recipe for soup with butternut squash and coconut milk.
Here it is! I haven't made this myself, so read the reviews, since the original recipe has atypical seasonings and does not puree the squash.

Requested: ginger pound cake I made at the baby shower
Here it is!

Requested: a good squash recipe
Try this butternut squash lasagne. It is divine! I don't have the energy to rub and blow the skins off of hazelnuts. I use pecans instead.

Here's an exhaustive list of pumpkin/winter squash recipes from the New York Times.

Requested: spaghetti squash recipe I made last year when Shana and Peter came over
Here it is! Note: If you are microwaving both halves of the squash, give yourself some time. It may take anywhere form 15 to 23 minutes for them to cook. You should be able to easily make strings (by vigorously grating with a fork) that look like angel hair.

Question: What is XXX sugar?
Answer: No, it is not an exotic dancer. XXX, XXXX, and 10X sugar all refer to sugar that is finer than granulated sugar; other terms include superfine sugar and castor sugar. 10X is usually sold as confectioners' sugar. However, confectioners' sugar has a teaspoon of cornstarch per cup added to thicken. So, it's best limited to baking applications. If you need superfine sugar for a recipe (often an alcoholic beverage!) process 1 cup regular sugar for 1 minute in a blender or a food processor.

I found the best answer about XXX sugar in this free online book! Brilliant Food Tips and Cooking Tricks, by David Joachim and Andrew Schloss.

No comments: