Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Food for thought: My Favorite Things, part 1


Let's face it: some people know how to cook, and some don't. Others scrape by, as they or their families depend on them. But think, how many people know how to eat? Ahh, there's eating, as is the physical motion of moving food from outside the mouth to inside the mouth and chewing it. That's not the kind of eating I'm talking about. Eating for me is about harmony, enhancing the taste on one's palette by discerning what should be eaten. Well, that's what it is when I have the luxury of choice. It also means, before I even cook, making sure there are good ingredients and tools around me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a snob. I do have a rather proud palette, but I am not above Cheetos.

So, what ingredients are important to me?
Olive oil
Already I'm headed for trouble, since I'm quite opinionated. Not about the brand, mind you, although it should be imported from Italy. Otherwise, there's no guarantee you're getting extra-virgin olive oil(EVO). You know what, though? I think EVO should only be drizzled at the end, like one would sprinkle (freshly grated! not canned!) Parmesan cheese on a finished dish. I do have a theory on how to incorporate the full-bodied olive flavor into your food. It is truly revolutionary. OLIVES! I use actual brined olives, not the olive-shaped rubber from a can. Why brined olives and not the chichi kind in oil? For one, I like to eat olives in oil by themselves or use them in a recipe like muffulettas--which have been on my mind. Second, I use the brine to enhance flavor. Instead of vinegar, try adding some olive brine aka "juice." It will bring out a nice flavor in your dish (bolognese sauce or grilled & marinated veggies) AND save you money to buy more quality ingredients! Also, try pureeing olives into a marinade or homemade dressing. It coats well, adds body, and has fewer calories than the same volume of oil.

Fresh herbs
I didn't realize how big a difference this made until I lived overseas, where it was cheaper to buy many herbs fresh instead of dried. I won't go on and on for this one. If I had to choose fresh herbs for you to substitute, here are the top five: parsley, basil, mint, sage, rosemary. Sixth is cilantro. Cilantro, well, either you like it or you hate it. But can you imagine a fresh salsa without it?

Fresh salsa
If you are a Tex-Mex freak, please consider fresh salsa. I've seen it in many stores.; popular brands are Santa Barbara's (my favorite) and Riojo's. Plus, you can dump black bean and corn salsa in chili or even use tomato salsa as a springboard for gazpacho. You can also make many variations of it yourself, especially if you have a food processor, and you'll be so glad you did.

Food processor
No, you can't and shouldn't eat it, but it will exponentially increase the amount of delicious fresh foods you can make in a snap. If you think it's expensive, consider how much the following cost or how time-consuming they are otherwise: marzipan, all-natural peanut or nut butters, herb butter, pastry dough, sorbet, bread crumbs, hummus, salad dressing, homemade mayonnaise, grated cheeses and chopped, grated or sliced fruits & vegetables, and cake frosting. These are but a few things that you can whip up in no time with a food processor. Expect to spend $90+ for a Cuisinart (if you don't like to hunt for bargains).

Sugar and sweeteners
White sugar does have some advantages, as it can make cookies crisp and cakes lighter. What does it do for may palette? Zilch. I use it more for its ease and chemical properties than as a true flavor-enhancing ingredient. I favor turbinado "raw" sugar; sucanat; organic sugar; maple syrup; honey, especially "raw" honey, which dissolves with cold liquids unlike its orange blossom counterpart; molasses--it's heaven in frostings, and is one of my secret ingredients in brownies and spice cakes; and juice concentrates, which I use instead of added sugars in punch and fruit salads.

Unsalted butter
If you do one thing (unless you're vegan or your heart is hanging by a thread), switch to butter. You'll need less for flavor and it has chemical advantages over margarine. The flavor is enhanced when it's cooked to a nutty brown color. When I prepare a savory dish that requires added fat, I usually start off the dish by browning something, like onions, with butter and finish a dish with extra-virgin olive oil. I think the flavors do a nice dance on the tongue and prevent a "heavy" taste and feel.

I have more favorites for next time. Stay tuned...

No comments: